Skye is a Border Collie and Search & Rescue Dog with SARDA Wales. I have had her since she was 7 weeks old and have trained her specifically for Search & Rescue since I got her. I am a self employed Mountaineering Instructor and member of Llanberis Mountain Rescue Team and she often comes to work with me during the day. You can find links to the various teams and to expeditionguide.com below.

Sunday 15 November 2009

SARDA Wales Training Weekend

I have been in bed for the majority of the week gone by with some sort of flu virus which has been a real nuisance. I took Skye along for training yesterday afternoon for an hour with SARDA Wales and did some run outs. Today we headed along again and spent the morning in the Llanberis Pass. We increased the distance on the run outs and also added some obstacles in the dogs way, such as wet boggy ground on one occasion and a dry stone wall on another. This kept the dog thinking and allowed me to push her a bit. The longer runouts showed me where her comfort zone currently is and I finished the day on a high with a couple of shorter ones. The video shows what a run out is and was taken at the start of the day today.
This weekend has been an assessment weekend and congratulations go to all of the handlers and dogs that have passed and many, many thanks to the bodies.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Skye!

    I just found your website and blog and I really like it. I am a rescue dog too. But not like you. I got rescued. I don't do rescues like your are learning to do. I am so glad you do that.

    I live in California. But my Kind Friend who rescued me used to live in London.

    I have a Welsh friend here where I live. She is a corgi. You can see about her at my website at www.sammmystory.net.

    Bye Skye

    Sammy

    ReplyDelete